HISTORY TIMELINE

  • 1470

    TURKISH OCCUPATION

    The written history starts from the start of the Turkish occupation. Earlier history is established through excavations. During the Turkish occupation, Omer Bey, who later became the Pasha of Evia, was the owner of the Estate. It was then called The Pashas Gardens.

  • 1835

    LIBERATION

    Following the liberation of the island around 1835 the property was purchased by Ioannis Paparrigopoulos, Vice-Consul of Russia in Karystos and Chamberlain under King George the 1st of Greece.

  • 1841

    ROYAL GUESTS I

    Montofoli has hosted important personalities. King Otto of Greece was received here during his visit to Karystos in 1841, for the purpose of donating the plan of todays Karystos City.

  • 1877

    KONSTANTINIDES FAMILY

    In 1877, his son Michalis Paparrigopoulos, sold the property to Ioannis Konstantinides, a merchant from Alexandria, Egypt. Konstantinides preserved it in a perfect condition, cultivating oranges, tangerines and lemons. The estate was mentioned in numerous tourist guides.

  • 1953

    ROYAL GUESTS II

    In October 1953, at the inauguration of the water supply project of the City, King Paul of Greece received hospitality at the Estate.

  • 1955

    ABANDONMENT

    Montofoli was abandoned in the mid 1950s and turned into ruins.

  • 1962

    ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE

    In 1962 the estate was declared an archaeological site. The findings are displayed in the Archeological Museum of Karystos, housed in the Yokallion Institute in downtown Karystos. Through Montofoli runs an old staircase, built from the remains of ancient buildings of the region. Its 157 steps are said to have served as a road leading to an important spot, unknown today.

  • 1986

    THE KARACOSTAS FAMILY

    In 1986 the property was bought by the family of Pavlos G. Karacostas, and MONTOFOLI ESTATE S.A. was formed in order to restore the property and develop it agriculturally. It was then named after the hill of Montofoli, on which it lies.

THE BUILDINGS

The buildings of the property were built during different periods. The Main House with the three arched windows was built during the Venetian period (1200 AD) and the left part was added later on, during the Turkish era. The Dovecot (1870) is standing on the ruins of a Roman Bath and the Red House is a greek neoclassical building representative of the late 19th century. The Wine Cellar is partly the remains of the Christian church of St Marcus. During the Turkish occupation the temple was destroyed and converted into a stable for horses. Today it serves as a wine cellar that houses the Montofoli Estate wine, stored in barrels & bottles.